German-Iranian gunman who killed 9 in Munich worshipped HITLER and hated Turks and Arabs
THE German-Iranian teenage gunman who massacred nine in Munich last week worshipped Hitler and described sharing the same birthday as the Nazi leader as an “honour”.
By Tom Batchelor
PUBLISHED: 12:00, Thu, Jul 28, 2016 |
‘Ali’ David Sonboly, 18, murdered nine people – most of them children – after going on the rampage at the Olympia shopping centre in the southern German city.
He considered himself Aryan despite his Iranian heritage and held racist views including a hatred for Turks and Arabs.
Iran is considered to be the home of the Aryan race and Sonboly was said to be proud of his Iranian ancestry despite his dislike for neighbouring countries in the Middle East.
Fresh revelations about the right-wing killer also suggest he was proud to have shared his birthday – April 20 – with Adolf Hitler.
Reports in German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine appeared to confirm the killer’s right-wing links and investigators are focusing on his extreme political views as speculation grows that he was specifically targeting foreigners during the shooting.
Four of those killed were of Turkish origin and two others were Kosovan Albanian.
Materials found at the gunman’s home also showed he had been hospitalised for three months to treat a mental health condition and was an avid player of violent video games.
One of the games, ‘Counter Strike: Source’, was a game “played by nearly every known rampage killer”, according to the president of Bavaria’s crime office, Robert Heimberger.
Detectives believe the gunman was also inspired by Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik, and likely staged the shooting on the fifth anniversary of Breivik’s massacre of 77 people.
Police in Munich
Bystanders running the shopping centre
During Sonboly’s rampage on July 22 he also made reference to the fact that he had been bullied.
Officials said authorities had investigated allegations in 2012 that the gunman was bullied by three other children, but none of those individuals – or any other classmates of the gunman – were among the shooting victims.
Bavarian state investigators said materials found in his home showed the gunman had begun plotting the attack a year ago after visiting the site of a 2009 school shooting in southwest Germany in which 15 people were killed.
Sonboly is thought to have attempted to lure victims to a McDonald’s opposite the mall with a fake Facebook profile promising free food.
Among the dead were two 14-year-old Kosovan girls, Armela Segashi and Sabina Sulaj, and their Turkish friends Can Leyla, 14 and Selcuk Kilic, 15.
In total, six of the victims were aged between 14 and 17, two were young adults aged 19 to 20 years and a 45-year-old Turkish woman was also killed.