‘Traitors on parade’: Army masterminds behind Turkey coup appear on TV with their hands bound – as EU claims Erdogan list of 3,000 names to be arrested was prepared BEFORE uprising
- Military masterminds of failed Turkey coup have been paraded on camera
- EU commissioner Johannes Hahn has cast doubt on speed to coup arrests
- Indicated Turkey had a list of names of plotters before the coup even began
- Almost 6,000 judges and military officials have been detained since coup
- Among them is the commander of an airbase used by the U.S. military
- Almost 9,000 workers attached to the Interior Ministry have been sacked
Military officials accused of masterminding the failed coup in Turkey have been paraded on camera with their hands bound and ordered to give their name and rank before being taken to be interrogated.
The footage was allegedly filmed at a police station in Ankara where the men are being held in custody before they appear in court later today.
The release of the video comes after an EU official suggested the swift rounding up of nearly 3,000 judges and military officials after the failed coup in Turkey suggests the government had a list of names prepared beforehand.
Five of the suspected coup members who were parade on camera at a police station in Ankara after being rounded up
The footage was allegedly filmed at a police station in Ankara where the men are being held in custody before they appear in court later today
After being ordered to give their name and rank in an attempt to humiliate them, the men were then ordered to leave the room.
Pictures from the footage show several high ranking generals being led into a room with their hands tied behind their backs and one with a bandage over his ear.
As they stand there, one man shouts: ‘Are you happy you failed?’ before they are all ordered to give their names and ranks in an attempt to shame them.
And once they have finished, they are then ordered to leave the room by a man shouting ‘get out’ before another group are brought in and expected to do the same.
Meanwhile later footage showed the men all standing on a staircase as they are paraded in front of the cameras.
Among them is Akin Ozturk, head of the air force until 2015 and a member of High Military Council (YAS), who was pictured looking dishevelled wearing a striped polo shirt.
Ozturk was due to be retired this August at a meeting of the YAS, which convenes twice a year. According to his biography, still on the military’s website, he was born in 1952.
Among those arrested is Akin Ozturk, pictured, head of the air force until 2015 and a member of High Military Council (YAS), who was pictured looking dishevelled wearing a striped polo shirt
The detainees, including Ozturk were rounded up and had their hands bound by police with cable ties
As well as looking dishevelled Ozturk was also pictured with cuts to his face and a bandage over his ear
Ozturk, pictured in his military uniform, was due to be retired this August at a meeting of the YAS, which convenes twice a year
This afternoon two private broadcasters contradicting a state media report that said Ozturk had not confessed to playing a role in the failed military coup.
Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency said earlier that Ozturk had confessed to helping to plot the coup. However, Haberturk and NTV cited what they said was his testimony to prosecutors, reporting that he denied playing a role.
‘I am not someone who has planned or directed the coup attempt that was carried out on July 15 and I don’t know who did,’ NTV cited him as saying in his testimony.
The second mastermind was thought to be Muharrem Kose, a former legal adviser to the chief of military staff, the same three Ankara officials said.
They described Kose as a follower of Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based cleric whose network Erdogan has blamed for carrying out the coup attempt.
Another commander detained was General Bekir Ercan Van, the leader of the Incerlik airbase used by the US-led coalition to launch strikes on ISIS in Iraq and Syria.
However, the Pentagon confirmed on Sunday that the airspace had reopened and operations against the terror group were continuing.
The alleged coup members were brought to a police station on a special bus and led into the building
Meanwhile Turkey’s state-run news agency says the Interior Ministry has sacked close to 9,000 personnel across the country, following Friday’s foiled coup attempt.
Anadolu Agency says a total of 8,777 employees attached to the ministry were dismissed, including 30 governors, 52 civil service inspectors and 16 legal advisers.
Other media reports said police and military police officers and coast guards were also removed from duty.
Following the failed coup attempt on Saturday, Turkish authorities arrested those it suspected of trying to topple the government ranging from top military commanders to foot soldiers, and judges and prosecutors.
However, Johannes Hahn, the EU commissioner dealing with Turkey’s membership bid cast doubt on the speed at which the arrests were made.
A number of Turkish coup members in Marmaris are led into a court house in Mugla following the coup on Saturday
The swift rounding up of nearly 3,000 judges and military officials before the failed coup in Turkey suggests the government had a list of names prepared beforehand, EU commissioner Johannes Hahn has said
In the coastal resort of Marmaris, soldiers who tried to attack Erdogan at a hotel in the town appeared in court
Turkish security forces have been launching fresh raids in a relentless crackdown against the suspect coup plotters
He explained: ‘It looks at least as if something has been prepared. The lists are available, which indicates it was prepared and to be used at a certain stage.
‘I’m very concerned. It is exactly what we feared.’
Turkey’s foreign minister described the remarks as ‘unacceptable’ today.
On his Twitter account, Mevlut Cavusoglu also said Turkey would never take a step back from its civil democratic achievements and rule of law.
Cavusoglu added in English: ‘It seems that (Hahn) is far from thoroughly comprehending what is going on in Turkey. Our primary expectation from the EU and our allies is to support the democratic process in Turkey and strongly condemn the coup attempt.’
Hahn’s claims come after a US-based Turkish cleric accused of plotting the coup to overthrow the Ankara government has said President Erdogan staged the rebellion himself to justify a major clampdown on opposition forces.
Fethullah Gulen, who was a former key ally of Erdogan has been blamed by the politician of using his contacts to develop a ‘parallel structure’ to overthrow the state.
Today Turkish security forces are launching fresh raids in a relentless crackdown against the suspect coup plotters.
The incident left over 290 dead as President Erdogan mooted reintroducing the death penalty to punish them.
Erdogan faced down the coup bid late on Friday by elements in the military disgruntled with his 13-year rule.
Protesters turned up at the courthouse in Mugla to demonstrate and shout abuse at the alleged coup members
A woman holds up and sign and shouts as the alleged coup members are led into the courthouse near Marmaris
But Turkey’s allies have warned him against excessive retribution as the authorities round up the perpetrators.
The justice minister has said around 6,000 people have been detained so far in the investigation into Friday’s coup which Erdogan has blamed on his arch-enemy, Gulen.
Meanwhile in the coastal resort of Marmaris, soldiers who tried to attack Erdogan at a hotel in the town appeared in court.
They had their hands bound behind their backs and were forced to lower their heads as they were escorted into the courthouse in Mugla.
It comes after it was revealed that at the height of the coup, the rebel pilots of two F-16 fighter jets had Erdogan’s plane in their sights.
The justice minister has said around 6,000 people have been detained so far in the investigation into Friday’s coup which Erdogan has blamed on his arch-enemy, US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen
The Turkish leader was returning to Istanbul from a holiday in Marmaris after a faction in the military launched the coup attempt on Friday night, sealing off a bridge across the Bosphorus, trying to capture Istanbul’s main airport and sending tanks to parliament in Ankara.
A senior Turkish official confirmed that Erdogan’s business jet had been harassed while flying from the airport that serves Marmaris by two F-16s commandeered by the coup plotters but that he had managed to reach Istanbul safely.
A second senior official also said the presidential jet had been ‘in trouble in the air’ but gave no details.
Erdogan said as the coup unfolded that the plotters had tried to attack him in the resort town of Marmaris and had bombed places he had been at shortly after he left. He ‘evaded death by minutes’, the second official said.