The “holy” Ramadan continues with Saudi Barbaria, the very seat of terrorism, having a taste of their own medicine. There has to be a lot of suspicions about the “arrests”. How do you arrest someone who blew themselves up? The Saudis will probably, as usual, blame some foreign elements or Shia Muslims.
Islam was created during Ramadan.
Bomber strikes near US consulate in Saudi – Amir sends cable of condolence to Saudi King
JEDDAH: Saudi policemen stand guard at the site where a suicide bomber blew himself up in the early hours of yesterday near the American consulate in the Red Sea city of Jeddah. – AFP
RIYADH: A suicide bomber blew himself up near the American consulate in Saudi Arabia’s western city of Jeddah in the early hours of US Independence Day yesterday, wounding two security officers. The Saudi Interior Ministry said the two officers suffered minor injuries, while the American embassy in Riyadh said there were no casualties or injuries among US consulate staff.
The ministry did not specify if the bomber intended to target the consulate, saying an investigation was underway. The incident came amid a wave of attacks claimed by the Islamic State group or blamed on the jihadists, including a suicide bombing in Baghdad on Sunday that killed more than 200 people and the recent attacks in Bangladesh and at Istanbul airport. It happened before the end this week of the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from dawn until dusk.
The interior ministry said security personnel became suspicious of the man near the parking lot of a hospital which is across from the US diplomatic mission. When they moved in to investigate at around 2:15 am (2315 GMT Sunday) the man “blew himself up with a suicide belt inside the hospital parking lot”, the ministry said. A picture carried by the Sabq online newspaper, which is close to authorities, showed what appeared to be the remains of a man lying on the ground between a taxi and the open door of another car that was peppered with holes.
In a security notice posted on its website, the US embassy noted media reports of “a suspected suicide attack near the US consulate in Jeddah… which occurred in the early morning hours of July 4.” “There are no casualties or injuries among US consulate staff. Media report two Saudi police officers were injured,” it said. “The US embassy and consulate remain in contact with the Saudi authorities as they investigate the incident,” it added, urging Americans to “take extra precautions when travelling throughout the country.” In March last year the US embassy closed its main office, as well as consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran, for a few days over unspecified “security concerns”.
Blast in Medina, Qatif
In another development, a suicide bomber detonated a device near the security headquarters of the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina, Saudi Arabia, the second-holiest site in Islam, Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television reported yesterday. The blast followed others in Qatif and Jeddah yesterday, the last day of the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan and start of the Eid Al-Fitra festival. Pictures circulating on social media showed dark smoke billowing from flames near the mosque.
Wave of IS attacks
The US consulate in Jeddah was previously targeted in December 2004 when gunmen opened fire and lobbed explosives at the compound, killing five people, in an attack blamed on Al-Qaeda. It was not immediately clear who may have been behind yesterday’s incident, but since late 2014 Saudi security officers and minority Shiites have been hit by deadly violence claimed by IS. Branding its rulers “apostate tyrants”, IS leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi has called for attacks on Saudi Arabia, which is taking part in the US-led coalition bombing the jihadists in Syria and Iraq.
In May the Interior Ministry said four suspected jihadists died-two by blowing themselves up-during a raid east of Jeddah. Two of them were wanted for some of the deadliest recent attacks in the kingdom. These included the suicide bombing which killed 15 people at a mosque inside a Saudi Special Forces compound in the southwestern city of Abha last August. Another suspect killed in the May raid was sought in connection with deadly suicide blasts at two Shiite mosques in the kingdom’s east.
Police said he was also involved in the November 2014 shooting of seven Shiite worshippers, which began the series of attacks allegedly linked to IS in the Sunni-dominated kingdom. IS-linked violence has also struck neighboring Kuwait, where a suicide bomber blew himself up in a Shiite mosque, killing 26 worshippers, a year ago.
Yesterday Kuwait’s Interior Ministry said it had broken up three IS cells plotting attacks there. Five Kuwaiti nationals were arrested, including a policeman and a woman. They all confessed to plotting attacks against a Shiite mosque and an interior ministry target, the ministry said in a statement. Despite the upsurge in attacks against Saudis, foreigners have rarely been targeted in recent years. In November 2014 a Dane was shot and wounded in the capital Riyadh. Police arrested three alleged Saudi supporters of IS in connection with the attack.
Meanwhile, His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah has sent a cable to King Salman Bin Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia, expressing Kuwait’s strongest condemnation to the ‘terror act’ that took place at one of Jeddah’s hospitals’ parking lot. His Highness the Amir voiced out his support to all security measures that will be carried out by the Saudi Government to combat terror acts. He reiterated Kuwait’s refusing stance to all manifestations of terrorism everywhere. Also, His Highness the Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah sent cables of condolences to the Saudi King over the victims of the blast.- Agencies