Frank Cadamarteri | Adressa. no, Adresseavisen
12-year-old victim of gang rape
Four boys of foreign origin have taken turns to assault and abused a 12 year old girl. Now they must face the Namdal Court.
This is one of the more serious cases we’ve seen in a long time. The abusers were numerous and the assault repeated many times. — Lawyer Anders Kjøren
At least one of the assaults allegedly took place in a schoolyard. And on several occasions, two or more men have met the then twelve year old girl and had sex with her in turn.
The perpetrators were even very young when this happened. Respectively 15, 16, 17 and 18 years old.
The second oldest of the young people are now accused of having attempted to perform sexual intercourse with another girl who was only 13 years old when this happened.
Right: Anders Run is the counsel for the younger girl. (Photo: Leif Arne Holme)
Statement from the Attorney General
The case is so severe that the Attorney General has been involved in taking out the indictment. The indictment documents are signed Acting Prosecutor Hans Vang.
- The case concerns repeated atrocities against a victim under 14 years of age. If there are aggravating circumstances [in a case] it will be the Attorney General who press charges, said District Attorney Kaia Strandjord.
Strandjord did not want to comment in detail about the case to Adresseavisen. She notes that it is generally complicated when several of those involved are children under 18. Amendments to the Criminal Code, which came into force last year, will still imposed long unconditional prison sentences if the court finds that it is “particularly important.”
In the swing
The abuse in question happened a while back. According to the prosecution, the young men met the youngest girl on at least three occasions and assaulted her. One of the assaults allegedly took place in the grounds of a primary school in the area. There, the three young men had intercourse with the girl at the school entrance and on a swing set, according to the indictment. Another assault occurred in what is termed as a “playhouse”.
The men also committed assault against another girl on the grounds of a school site. The then seventeen year old defendant, who is accused of assaulting the second girl, acted alone according to the indictment.
Right: Attorney Kaja Strandjord is prosecuting the case. Photo: MARIANN DYBDAHL
Adresseavisen has the past week been in contact with the defense of all four defendants. None of them want to comment on the indictment or what their clients’ stance is on the matter.
- I’m still waiting for the relevant documents from the police, so I do not have much to say about it before I get to them, said lawyer Camilla Ødegaard Letnes. She is the lawyer for the oldest of the accused youths.
The indictment will take in account that compensation will be demanded on behalf of the girls. The size of compensation is so far not clear, says Camilla Elvevoll, representing the oldest girl. Neither lawyer Anders Run, who is counsel for the youngest girl, makes the size of the claim clear. Both aid lawyers have scheduled meetings with clients and their parents next week.
- My client has been subjected to serious exploitation. This is one of the more serious cases we’ve seen in a long time. The abusers were numerous and the assault repeated many times and on multiple counts. It is clear that what happened has been very traumatic for her, says Run.
There is so far no evidence that the trial will be held in open court. It will be decided after the court will view videotapes of interrogating the girls, according Kjøren.
The case have been put off a week and forwarded to the Namdal Court. The trial starts on February 18. Senior Judge Lisa Elin Bech will be presiding the case.